Prior to taking notes, you should familiarize yourself with these successful note-taking strategies:
- Summarizing. To summarize all you have read effectively, you should reduce all the information to a few important points using your own words.
- Paraphrasing. To paraphrase, you should restate what you have read using your own words. However, if you take phrases and key words directly from the source, do not forget to put quotation marks.
- Quoting directly. To quote directly, you should record the statement and put quotation marks before and after it.
- Keep notes on cards of the same size and style.
- Be sure to jot down interesting quotations and important information along with the page numbers where the information is located.
- To avoid plagiarism, place quotation marks around word-for-word quotations.
- Use ellipsis when you leave words out of a quotation and brackets around the words you add to a quotation.
- Give each note card a descriptive heading.